Monday, May 13, 2013

A Quick Catch Up

I'm Back!

I have not posted a blog in some time.  Honestly, life has been kicking my ass for the past few months due to multiple reasons, and I have been longing for the opportunity to put some text on screen.  At this point in time, life is finally starting to slow down to the point that I can start blogging on a more consistent basis.  This also means I will have the chance to work on a dedicated site for all the nerdy shizzle I am into.

Since I have not posted anything since February, here is a quick catch up of what I have been into recently along with some thoughts on the mentioned subject matter.

The Games
I am not even sure where to begin since there have been a lot of titles that have come out, or games I have been intending to play yet could not afford at the time of release.  Here is a quick rundown of a few titles I can't put down:

Tomb Raider


Love the new look!


This is one of the examples of games I wanted to play, but I did not have the opportunity to purchase until recently.  I have completed about 10 percent of the game so take these opinions at face value.  Tomb Raider is a beautiful manifestation of 15 years worth of work developing a single character.  The atmosphere feels like Tomb Raider, and is executed in such a way that it is one of the best games of the year.

The story of Tomb Raider centers around a historical god-like figure who had supposed magical powers that controlled her people as well as nature.  Laura and her crew of bumbling misfits (and a complete douche of a  senior researcher) end up off the coast of an island said to be the home of this divine queen.  During their voyage, their ship is cut in half from the looks of the cutscenes.  I am not sure how this is even possible unless the captain was suicidal or the coral reef of this island is made of refined platinum, but I digress.

At this point the crew is super fucked, and Laura gets knocked out by some unknown person while crawling her way towards the other crew members.  She wakes up and finds herself in a tomb of sorts (yes a tomb, not sure what else you'd expect) and the survival begins.  I really shouldn't say survival.  From the start you can tell that she has sinned against god in some way shape or form because everything is against her.  For example, after the introduction Laura finds herself hanging upside down in a water logged cave of sorts with a cocoon looking thing hanging beside her.  She swings side to side to get the cocoon thing to catch on fire to set the wooden bar above her on fire so she can in turn, you guessed it, set herself on fire in hopes of escape.  This happens, she falls, and what is at the bottom? A frigging metal rod that goes through at least 1 major organ from the looks of it.  I am not doctor, but I know that if that happened to me I would be super dead.

Sittin here with my thoughts.


At this point in the game I am wowed by how graphic the title is, and all I can say is about damn time.  I have been wanting a gritty redux of this series and my prayers have been answered.  I am not going to go much into the specifics of game play since I have seen so little of it, but what I have played so far it is fun.

I highly recommend this title to anyone who is a fan of adventure games.  The graphics are amazing, and the game handles well.  I normally detest bows and arrows in any game, but the bow in Tomb Raider has me wreaking havoc to anything that crosses my path.

Bioshock: Infinite




First off, let me say that I was never a big fan of Bioshock 1 or 2.  They were a cool concept, but they did not hold my attention span.    Infinite completely changed my perspective of the Bioshock series, and this will probably be my choice for FPS game of the year (if not THE game of the year).

The level design is amazing, the magical abilities have an immense amount of uses and are awesome to watch every time they are performed (murder of crows is by far my favorite), and Elizabeth is one of the best NPC companions since Alyx Vance (Half-Life 2). She assists you (Booker Dewitt) throughout the entire game by giving supplies when they are needed, and money when she finds it.

There is also a melee weapon that allows Booker to travel on the rails that are throughout Columbia.  This weapon is also used to perform special melee moves with a weakened enemy. The moves are very graphic, and had me cringing several times when a new one was introduced.  One of my favorite moves was to crash down on an enemy from the sky rails. I seriously giggles the first few times I did it.

Beat some quantum sense into me Liz!


I seriously loved everything about this game.  The story was top notch, and engrossing enough to go through again to see what I missed the time around, and the ending...omg..the ending made me want more.  The only adjustment I would have made is with the length of the game, and some of the back story of the prophet.  There is such a thing as too much mystery, and Bioshock Infinite danced that line quite often.  As for the length, I beat the game in about 9 hours on normal difficulty which is about standard for many shooters these days.

Notable Mentions:
Far Cry 3 - Good, but ridiculously repetitive.
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - Good, funny, cheap, but still overly repetitive.
StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm - It's still StarCraft, I still suck at StarCraft, Kerrigan is still hot
Star Trek the Game - Don't even bother. This game is a broken and stupid disappointment.

The Comics
Instead of doing a review of every comic I am currently reading I am going to hit the high points,

All New X-Men/Uncanny X-Men
I am loving All New X-Men and the Uncanny X-Men tie in.  The story gets better every issue, and the new wave of mutant kids makes the future of this series look very bright.  The only one I don't get is the kid who farts out the giant gold balls.  He feels like the ensign from the Star Trek series; a filler character that will probably die so a more important character can live. A part of me is still hoping they get around to describing the purpose of his powers aside from the comic relief act he currently plays.

Age of Ultron
Age of Ultron is fantastic, and seeing Luke Cage again brought back a lot of nostalgia for me. The picture of Captain America below is what sealed this series for me.  I've never seen the Cap so broken, and this desperate frame sets the mood for the entire series.  It is seriously the end of the world, and I am looking forward to seeing how this series ends.

These colors don't pout Cap!


Deadpool: Killustrated




Everyone's favorite Merc with a mouth went on a killing spree to end all of mutant kind, and found that he not only needed to kill all the superheroes/villains, but also the stories that inspired them to be heroes/villains in the first place.  This 4 part series is a continuation of Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe, and it is very well done.

I liked DP Kills the Marvel Universe up until like the last 2 pages so I was a bit nervous as to how this series would end. However, after finishing the final issue my nerves are at ease.  It was an amazing finale, and Sherlock Holmes's part was very well done.  Now I must wait for the next series called Deadpool Kills Deadpool to see if there is any finality to DP's rampage.

That is all I will write about in length for now, but here are some other notable mentions:

Young Avengers-  Decent, but a slow starter. Still reading it because of Loki.
Harbinger Wars - Meh
Nova - Excited for this one to pick up.
Guardians of the Galaxy - Awesome, and once a few more issues are out I will do an indepth review,
Secret Avengers - Could be so much better, story is a bit lame so far, but I am giving it a chance
Alpha:Big Time - It's not terrible, but I could do with less teenage angst and retarded relationship drama

The Tech

Anyone who follows me on Twitter knows that I am a computer nerd.  I love building computers and making them purr like the lions at the San Diego zoo.  Recently I have made a couple of upgrades.  The first is a CM Storm Quickfire mechanical gaming keyboard.  I love mechanical keyboards, and this one was a bit pricey, but I am thoroughly impressed with the design and layout of this keyboard.  It has a function that disables the Windows Start button, full media controls, and multiple light combinations.  It also makes the old school clicky noises like the old school keyboards I grew up on (hence the mechanical in the name).  The only real issue I have had is getting used to typing at long ends.  I understand that going from a modern keyboard back to a mechanical will take some time so I see this as only a temporary issue.

Here is a pic for your viewing pleasure:


The other addition I made is an 8 core AMD processor.  I had been wanting to get one to beef up my machine a bit, and I finally broke down and bought one.  The old processor was a generation behind, and it was the last bottleneck for my next generation build.  

Final Thoughts
This post is starting to get long so it is time to end it.  I thank you very much for spending some time with me, and  I hope to be much more active with this blog in the future.  If you have any feedback, questions, comments, or just want to say hi feel free to drop me a comment here or on my Twitter page (@DJExp314), Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment